PERSONAL TRACKING APPLICATIONS:
There are several small personal GPS tracking and messaging devices available that make use of the global coverage offered by Iridium. These include Shout Nano and GeoPRO. These systems cost more than a simplex system such as the popular SPOT device, but they also offer two-way messaging capability. In a real crisis, knowing that someone else has received your message and is responding makes an enormous difference.
For a little more, you can purchase an Iridium 9575 EXTREME satellite phone which not only provides GPS tracking, but also two-way voice, data and short messaging. Global personal tracking is supported in 5 different ways by the Iridium 9575 EXTREME::
- GPS RECEIVER FEATURE: View your own GPS location.
- TEXT YOUR GPS LOCATION: Send your GPS location to a friend via SMS to any text address or email address.
- BREAD CRUMB TRAIL: You can easily configure the Iridium 9575 EXTREME to automatically send your GPS location via SMS at equal time spacings.
- LOCATION BASED SERVICES (or LBS): This optional services provides a personal web site for tracking your Iridium 9575 EXTREME's location history and is recommended from a cost perspecitve if you intend to use GPS tracking heavily.
- RED S.O.S. BUTTON FEATURE: If you find yourself in a crisis, simply press the S.O.S. button to initiate a voice call and/or send a GPS-enabled SMS message to a pre-configured list of your friends to notify them where you are and that you are in trouble.
VEHICLE TRACKING APPLICATIONS:
If you want to track a land vehicle or marine vessel, we recommend one of the BEAM docking stations. An additional service is available for these docks that allows tracking (GPS antenna option required) over both the Iridium and Inmarsat GSPS networks.